Racism has reared its ugly head again at a Perth AFL match after four people were ejected from Saturday night’s western derby at Domain Stadium for erecting an anti-mosque banner. The banner stunt came a week after an anti-Muslim banner was unfurled at the MCG during Collingwood’s win over Richmond in round two.
The latest racist act prompted the AFL to request the media and public not give the Perth group responsible for the banner any attention.
The group’s Facebook page, which Fairfax Media has declined to name, “opposes the spread of Left Wing treason and spread of Islamism”.
Domain Stadium management said in a statement the four people evicted would likely be banned from the stadium for life for “displaying an unauthorised religious banner” for a short time during half-time.
The banner was removed by stadium security shortly after it was erected, with the quartet also issued with banning notices and handed over to WA Police.
Just last week, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said he would not tolerate groups trying to use the game to vilify sections of the community.
The WAFC reiterated that football was not the forum to promote racist propaganda.
“We will be working with police and the AFL to ban these people from returning to Domain Stadium,” WAFC acting chief executive Gavin Taylor said.
“This type of behaviour is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated.”
Steve from Maddington, who witnessed the event unfold, told Radio 6PR on Sunday that security guards were alerted to the banner before it was erected after a group of men sitting behind the offenders saw phone texts between the group planning the incident.
“The staff were keeping an eye on this lot,” he said.
“As soon as they even attempted [to erect the banner], bang they were onto them and they were out in a flash.
“[The banner was erected for] not even two seconds.”
Source: The Age
Image Source: Twitter, courtesy The Age