Initiatives of Change Australia invite you to join with them in their event, Our Uluru Response – ‘Walking Together to support the Uluru Statement from the Heart.’ A special forum with guest speaker Thomas Mayor.
Thomas Mayor is a Torres Strait Islander man born on Larrakia Country in Darwin, and a signatory of the Uluru Statement from the Heart. An activist, author and union offical, he was entrusted after the Uluru meeting to carry the sacred canvas on an 18-month journey around the country to garner support for a constitutionally enshrined First Nations voice, and a Makarrata Commission for truth-telling and agreement-making or treaties. His journey, he told the ABC, has given him hope that the Australian people would vote ‘yes’ in a Referendum for the Voice.
The evening’s events will include a Smoking ceremony, a welcome to country by local indigenous leaders and more.
Be there in person at Armagh or take part online.
Download a Flyer for this event
Date: Friday 19 March 2021
Time: 6 pm onwards
Venue: Armagh, 226 Kooyong Road, Toorak, Victoria
6pm: Arrival of guests.
* Smoking Ceremony in the gardens of Armagh
* Welcome to Country: Local Indigenous Elders
* Welcome to IofC and Armagh
* Dr Katie Allen, Federal MP: Reflecting on the relevance of the Uluru Statement from the Heart to all Australians
* Keynote speaker: Thomas Mayor—’Walking together to support the Uluru Statement from the Heart’
* Q and A
* Light refreshments will be served
* Register here
You are invited to attend in person or online.
Please note that if you indicate that you would like to attend in person, due to changing Covid-19 restrictions in Victoria, you will be placed in a waiting list and your attendance confirmed closer to the date of the event.