Buddha’s Day celebrates the birthday of Prince Siddhartha Gautama, who was to become Sakyamuni Buddha, the founder of Buddhism. The Buddha’s Day is celebrated by Fo Guang Shan Melbourne at the specially constructed Buddha’s Stage in the centre of Federation Square.
Come and Join the 2014 Buddha’s Day and Multicultural Festival on 26 April 2014 (10am – 8pm) and 27 April 2014 (10am – 5pm) at Federation Square.
- Buddha’s Day Baby Blessing Ceremony
- Share Tea with Me – Tea Cup Painting and Tea
- Free Tai Chi Demonstration
- Fo Guang Shan – Ch’an Meditation Session
- Buddha’s Day Festival – Bathing The Little Buddha
- 2014 Evening Light Offering Ceremony
- Wishing Lanterns – Main Plaza of Federation Square
- Ch’an Tea Meditation and Tea Serving
- Multicultural Multifaith Concert – Moving in Harmony
- Dharma Talk – Lecture on Buddhism
- Multicultural Performance – Harmony Under One Sky
- Taste of Asia – Vegetarian Food Fair
- Bodhi Tree – Field of Enlightenment
- Multicultural Artists from Multicultural Arts Victoria
Interfaith Ceremony for Peace and Understanding
In this Interfaith Ceremony, prayers or readings from sacred texts for peace and understanding will be offered by representatives from several faiths. Together, participants will make a Light Offering for understanding and peace between the peoples of the world’s religions and spiritualities and between people of no religious tradition.
Buddha’s Day Purification Ceremony
The Buddha’s Day Purification Ceremony is conducted by the Abbess Man Ko and Venerables of Fo Guang Shan Melbourne at the specially constructed Buddha’s Stage in the centre of Federation Square.
A Purification Ceremony is traditionally held prior to the commencement of any important Buddhist functions.
On this day, it marks the commencement of the traditional Buddha’s Day and Multicultural Festival proceedings.
The custom of the Purification Ceremony, involves the chanting of the Mantra of Great Mercy, one of the most important texts of Buddhism dedicated to the Guan Yin Bodhisattva of Mercy, and the use of blessed (or holy) water to purify the site.
During this ceremony, the Guan Yin Bodhisattva (Goddess of Mercy) and the Dharma Protectors are reverently petitioned to attend and give their blessings so that the Festival will be auspicious and protected under their guidance.
The Abbess and Venerables of Fo Guang Shan Melbourne and members of Buddha’s Light International Association of Victoria welcome all to attend.
What: Budda’s Day and Multicultural Festival
When: 26 April 2014 (10am – 8pm) and 27 April 2014 (10am – 5pm)
Where: Federation Square
More information: http://buddhaday.org.au/
Buddha’s Day at Federation Square