Health and Integrity in Church and Ministry is a conference focussed on an ecumenical conversation on the task of rebuilding and renewal after the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. The Conference will take place at the Melbourne City Conference Centre, over three days, commencing 27 August.
About the conference
At a time when Australia’s churches are still in an early phase of absorbing and responding to the findings and recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, this two-and-a-half-day symposium aims to begin an inclusive, ecumenical and interdisciplinary conversation about the task of cultural change and renewal that lies ahead.
There are significant questions that need to be taken up in light of the Royal Commission’s final report:
- What are the theological implications of the child sexual abuse crisis and indeed the theological learnings to be gained from the Royal Commission?
- How do we support those who have been harmed, confront the damage that has been caused within the ecclesial community, and rebuild trust?
- How do we build ecclesial communities and ministerial practice marked by health and integrity?
- What are the neuralgic issues that need to be faced and addressed, and how can resistance to change be confronted positively and transformed for the good of the ecclesial community?
- What questions require further research?
- In responding to the Royal Commission, what can the various Christian faith traditions learn from each other?
This conference aims to bring together a broad cross section of voices: church leaders, academics, people in religious and pastoral ministry, representatives of Church agencies, together with those who rarely get a voice, including survivors of abuse and their supporters, members of the laity, women, and church reform groups.
In order to promote a broad level of participation, attendance is free, and is inclusive of lunch and morning and afternoon tea.
Melbourne City Conference Centre
333 Swanston Street, Melbourne 3000 (cnr Little Lonsdale St).
Monday 27 August, 9.00am–5.00pm
Tuesday 28 August, 9.00am–5.00pm
Wednesday 29 August, 9.00am–1pm
How to register
‘Health and Integrity in Church and Ministry’ has been curated as a conversation to be held over three days. Attendance at the complete conversation is strongly recommended. To register to attend for the three days, simply click on the ‘Register Now’ link, select Monday 27 August, and then select the Three-day Conference Delegate ticket option. This will ensure your name is on our guest list for the duration of the event. We strongly recommend that you register early, as space is strictly limited.