Quakers Victoria will hold an open day on Sunday 7 October at the Meeting House, 484 William St, West Melbourne, from 1:30 pm. This is the first Open Day for the general public and the annual Quaker Week celebrations.
Come and hear how we apply Quaker principles in our lives as part of our first Open Day for the general public and the annual Quaker Week celebrations. This is when Quakers worldwide celebrate each other and the ways we can share our faith and service in the world.
You may not have heard of Quakers, but we (the Religious Society of Friends to give our full title) are an international group practising an inclusive and deeply ethical faith that has been around a long time – 365 years in fact! Established in Britain and quickly spreading throughout the world, Australian Quakers have been gathering and worshipping together in Melbourne since 1843. There are about 2000 members and attenders in Australia.
Quaker witness for truth, peace and justice has contributed to ending slavery, improving prison conditions, conscientious objection to war service, and working towards a world free of war, violence and inequality.
Quakers worship together in silence, have no leaders (in fact no hierarchy at all) and continue to make all decisions in a ‘whole-group’ manner. This is one of the reasons they have been so successful in business, for example, Cadbury’s chocolate, Clarkes shoes etc.
Quakers believe and try to live lives that promote:
- Peace and nonviolence – we work to resolve conflict
- Equality & justice – we speak out for asylum seekers, marriage equality
- Simplicity & plain living – practicing sustainable and low impact lives
- Speaking and witnessing truth in all settings – speaking truth to power
Earlier this year, Quakers in Victoria (http://www.vic.quakers.org.au) moved into a new Meeting House, the Victorian Friends Centre (484 William Street, Melbourne), although there are also local meetings throughout the State, where visitors are warmly welcomed at any Meeting for Worship. Please see https://www.quakersaustralia.org.au/ for details.
The public is invited to join the Victorian Quakers for the Quaker Week 2017 Program:
- Wednesday, October 4th Stillness in the City
- 12.45 – 1.15pm
- a half-hour Quaker Meeting for Worship
- Ross House, 247 Flinders Lane 3000
- Saturday, October 7th Being a Quaker: What’s the point?
- from 1.30pm
- Meeting House Open Day and panel discussion followed by afternoon tea and Meeting for Worship (all welcome)
- 484 William Street West Melbourne 3003
More Information: Helen Bayes email@example.com 0422 138 991 and Mark Lockwood-Porter firstname.lastname@example.org 0476 106 836
This page is offered for information only; the material herein in not specifically endorsed nor approved by Religions for Peace Australia