The ‘Palm Sunday Walk for Justice for Refugees’ is an interfaith, international and cross-political event. It has been officially endorsed by nearly 100 organisations – representing every shade of the political spectrum – including Christian Churches, Islamic Councils, Ethnic Councils, Jewish organisations and Rural Australians for Refugees.
The Refugee Advocacy Network is a broad coalition of Victorian organisations who have come together to advance a more just, humane approach to refugees and asylum seekers in Australia.
On Sunday 20 March 2016 – Palm Sunday – the Refugee Advocacy Network, in collaboration with many faith groups, will conduct the Walk for Justice for Refugees.
Pick up points for Palm Sunday materials 2016 (For those who want to collect posters and fliers. )
2.00pm, 20/3/16. State Library cnr Swanston and Latrobe street.
Speakers for the Melbourne event include:
- Daniel Webb – Human Rights Law Centre (State Library)
- Nazir Yousafi – Refugee & President Victorian Afghan Associations Network (State Library)
- Senator Sarah Hanson Young – Australian Greens (State Library)
- Interfaith Panel: Rabbi Jonathan Keren-Black – The Leo Baeck Centre, Mohamed Mohideen – Islamic Council of Victoria, Stuart McMillan, President Uniting Church (State Library)
- Lisa Fitzpatrick – State Secretary ANMF (Queen Victoria Gardens)
- Shen Narayanasamy – GetUp! (Queen Victoria Gardens)
- Pamela Curr – Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (Queen Victoria Gardens)
Music performance by
- Dan Sultan, Littlefoot and Shaking The Tree
Share and sign up to come along at www.facebook.com/palmsundaywalk
Let your friends and family know #justice4refugees
Call for Volunteers
We are calling for volunteers to act as Marshals, Collectors, staffing the RAN Stall and more. If you can help please contact Marie on email@example.com (Volunteer Palm Sunday in the subject line) to register by Weds 16 March
Palm Sunday Rallies Around Australia: Walk for Justice wherever you are.
- Adelaide: Parliament House, North Terrace, 2.00pm: More Details here
- Brisbane: Reddacliff Place, 3pm: More details here
- Canberra: Garema Place, 1pm: More details here
- Darwin: Nightcliff Jetty, 5pm: More details here
- Launceston: Prince’s Square, 1.45pm: More details here
- Perth: St. Georges Cathedral, 1pm: More details here
- Sydney: Belmore Park, 1pm: More details here
- Armidale: Judith Wright Grove (across from Farmer’s Market), 11.30am: More details here
- Echuca: St. Mary’s Parish to St Mary’s Primary, 3pm: More details here
- Lennox Head: Beach side of Ballina Street, Lennox Head near the bus stop opposite the shops, 10.30am: Contact Ballinarr@gmail.com
- Margaret River: Prevelly, 99 Mitchel Drive, 1pm: More details here
- Murwillumbah: Tweed Shire Council Chambers, 2pm: More details here
- Newcastle: Pacific Park, 11.30am: More details here
- Toowoomba: St. Patrick’s Cathedral, 11.30am: More details here
- Wollongong: North Wollongong Bathers Pavilion, 1pm: More details here