The Religions for Peace IX World Assembly is postponed until as early as possible in 2013, ideally in the first half of the year. The precise dates of the Assembly are not yet determined and will be communicated as soon as they are finalized with the Government of Qatar, the Assembly host.
1) The Religions for Peace Assembly Preparatory Committee met in Doha, Qatar, on 15 December 2011. Significant progress was made during the meeting, including the setting of provisional dates for the Assembly (7-9 November 2012).
2) Subsequent to that meeting, the Qatar Government communicated to the International Secretariat through the Religions for Peace Qatar counterpart, Dr. Ibrahim Al-Naimi, President of the Doha International Center for Interfaith Dialogue, that the 7-9 November 2012 dates were not suitable due to the fact that the Qatar Government will host a very major conference during those dates that will require all available conference and hotel facilities. Religions for Peace is very thankful for the fraternal good offices of Dr. Ibrahim Al-Naimi, a remarkable leader of interfaith activities.
3) Taking this situation into account, the Assembly Preparatory Committee recommended to the International Executive Committee that the Assembly be postponed until suitable dates could be determined in 2013, ideally in the first half of the year. In turn, the Executive Committee accepted this recommendation to be the wise course of action.
4) Religions for Peace remains highly pleased that the Government of Qatar is hosting our World Assembly and it is grateful for Qatar’s warm and gracious hospitality and support.
5) Religions for Peace will pursue the determination of mutually convenient dates for the Assembly with the Qatar Government. As soon as they are finalized, the dates will be widely communicated.
6) In the meantime, planning for the Assembly will continue. The Assembly Preparatory Committee has focused on an Assembly theme as follows: Welcoming the Other: Action for Human Dignity, Citizenship and Shared Well-being. Under the direction of the Assembly Preparatory Committee, the Secretariat will continue to advance important preparations.
Yours in Partnership,
Dr. William F. Vendley
RELIGIONS FOR PEACE—the world’s largest and most representative multi-religious coalition—advances common action among the world’s religious communities for peace. Religions for Peace works to transform violent conflict, advance human development, promote just and harmonious societies, and protect the earth. The global Religions for Peace network comprises a World Council of senior religious leaders from all regions of the world; six regional inter-religious bodies and more than eighty national ones; and the Global Women of Faith Network and Global Interfaith Youth Network.
777 United Nations Plaza | New York, NY 10017 USA | Tel: +1 212-687-2163 | Fax: +1 212-983-0098 | www.religionsforpeace.org